SEO plays a vital role in today’s digitalized world. It’s essential to make your website SEO friendly to reach out to the target audience. Now, there are many open-source platforms available to build a website without being tech savvy. But choosing the best platform according to SEO is still a big question. You need to have a clarity of your business needs so that you can decide the budget and choose the platform accordingly. Every platform needs a little investment when it comes to fulfilling the needs of today’s customers. And on the other hand, SEO has great importance in today’s world to reach out to the audience. Because of digitalization, there is a great number of websites available on the internet which are uncountable. So, to stand out against a huge number of websites has become a great deal. Hence it’s important to choose a platform which serves you great in SEO. So, here’s a little guide to choose the platform wisely.
Five things to keep in mind while choosing the best platform. Let’s have a sneak peek to the list.
- Editable robots.txt files –It’s essential to index desired pages only. Because sometimes crawlers crawl the pages which should not be indexed or should be shown just after completion of some specific process.
- Independent page titles and URLs – Having unique title pages and URLs focusing on some specific keywords may help you to rank better in search engines.
- A blogging platform – Blogging has become an integral part of marketing. There are many bloggers, influencers who blog to promote products. It indirectly affects traffic. Because blogging increases traffic as compared to those sites which don’t post blogs often.
- Canonical URLs – Canonical URLs specifies Google and other search engines about the identical URLs. They ask them to consider like URLs as same which allows the store owner to have multiple URLs for a single product so that the product is accessible through various URLs.
- Redirect Management – It is vital to redirect users and search engines to the right pages. It is preferable to have this automatic feature inbuilt in the platform itself.
These are essential features checklist to ensure the platform consists of at least four out of the five things mentioned above.
Now after keeping in mind the checklist mentioned above, let’s dive into the best e-commerce platforms suitable for SEO.
Initially, a blogging website, WordPress has developed itself drastically over the years. It is one of the popular SEO friendly platforms. Though it lacks some inbuilt features which can be added only through plugins. WordPress sites run fast on mobile if configured adequately.
Advantages of WordPress
- In WordPress, you can easily customize the URL for your post, or page. You can add relevant keywords which will make it SEO friendly.
- One of the reasons behind good SEO is Image Optimization. You can quickly optimize your image in WordPress with the help of image title and alt text to get better visibility in search engines.
- Google ranks the sites whose loading time is less. So, WordPress helps in optimizing speed by
- Compressing CSS and JS files.
- There are some free plugins available for free. One such popular plugin is Yoast SEO. And other plugins are also available for speed like W3 total cache and WP rocket.
Disadvantages of WordPress
- To undertake any small changes like removing a date field needs a little understanding of PHP language.
- As compared to other platforms like Joomla and Drupal, WordPress requires more plugins to be installed to stand out against these two platforms.
Shopify is a platform which is now gaining popularity in e-commerce platforms. It’s easy to use, SEO friendly too and one can easily optimize SEO in Shopify. There are many plugins available for SEO. You can easily add keywords to your product pages. Shopify is SAAS Platform (Software as a service) which means you can pay and use it anytime and anywhere.
Advantages of Shopify
- Shopify allows you to structure your site efficiently with the help of categories. These things are good for SEO as adding products in categories can easily help increase visibility in search engines.
- You can add product description to your products and keywords related to it which gives a boost in ranking.
- AMP helps in loading pages quickly; thus improved speed is a big plus for SEO.
Disadvantages of Shopify
- Adding AMP is only possible with the help of paid on your site. Any plugin related to SEO is only available in paid version only. Even the cheapest plan costs $9, though not providing to create a fully featured online store.
- Some essential features like digital downloads, reviews and ratings need separate plugins to be installed.
- Adding custom fields like a text box or file upload becomes way more complicated.
It is also one of the popular e-commerce paid hosted solution. It is easy to set up an online store and start a business. It is just like other e-commerce platforms like Shopify. SEO can be easily optimized. It also supports AMP pages that can be easily enabled. BigCommerce also supports editable robots.txt files.
Advantages of BigCommerce
- BigCommerce comes with fast loading pages and security. These two key points play a vital role in gaining customers and their trust. The payment gateways are secured and readily available. And speed attracts search engines.
- You can add titles, meta description, and short URLs. Additionally, there are many tools available for you to manage your website’s SEO. Amp is also available in BigCommerce which is a drooling point for search engines like Google.
Disadvantages of BigCommerce
- The inbuilt feature of Blog doesn’t consist of RSS feed.
- It is comparatively costly than other platforms available.
Magento has an effective place when it comes to e-commerce platforms. It allows using independent titles and URLs for different pages. It has basic features to optimize SEO. Some SEO settings are available in the backend. It has HTML and XML sitemaps available. If you have a large number of products then Magento is best for large businesses. Many platforms are not scalable as compared to Magento. If you want to expand your business and merge to Magento, then Magento migration service helps you to transfer your store into a Magento store. As Magento is pro when it comes to serving large business houses. It is also the best when security is the main concerned as Magento releases its security patches frequently to upgrade its security. Magento can be counted upon when it comes to security and scalability.
Advantages of Magento
- Mobile visitors have increased drastically because of the era of smartphones. Magento has kept in mind the mobile users and made it responsive accordingly. It has all the necessary features important for good SEO namely meta description, URL structure.
- It is flexible. As it is an open source platform you can modify the code according to your needs. Hence customization is possible in Magento.
- It is way more powerful than other available platforms. It has many functionalities which lack in other platforms. Also, you can easily add or integrate any service or API with its third part Extensions.
Disadvantages of Magento
- Magento is hard for a newbie and needs a development team. The site speed slows up when it has loads of data.
- It is quite expensive when it comes to the enterprise version. As Magento is available in different versions, community version being free while enterprise version costs you up to 15000$ which is quite a handsome amount.
Wix is a simple platform which uses drag and drop feature to build a website. Earlier it had issues related to SEO which have been solved now. With the help of an SEO wizard, one can easily optimize SEO. It also included AMP pages which help in getting better rank.
Advantages of Wix
- Wix has inbuilt SEO features due to which you don’t have to deal with plugins and widgets.
- You can easily connect your website with Google analytics and Google search console with easy steps.
Disadvantages of Wix
- To implement advance SEO, it becomes difficult for Wix sites to stand out. It has poor performance when it comes to visibility.
- SEO becomes difficult to implement. So, when it comes to SEO, a Wix platform is a big no, if you are working to generate organic traffic.
According to 2019 statistics(https://barn2.co.uk/woocommerce-stats/), WordPress comprises of 22% share, while Shopify and Magento comprises of 18% and 13% share respectively. WordPress is ruling the market while Shopify and Magento are still running in the race. Rest of all platform acquire 3-4 % shares of market.
WordPress is easy to use among all other platforms and with the help of some free plugins you can easily optimize your SEO. Shopify has easy to use interface but is bit pricey. Magento is little tricky to use and serves best when there are loads of products in a store already. Wix has improved but still not reliable when it comes to SEO. BigCommerce doesn’t has RSS feed and if you are thinking to do marketing through your blogs then it would be difficult for you. So, these were our top 5 e-commerce platforms which are SEO friendly and if configured correctly can give you the desired results. It solely depends upon your requirements to use the platform which is best and suitable for you. I hope this helps you out in some ways.